All posts in this blog are based solely on my own viewpoints unlesss otherwise stated.Should you disagree with me, either comment on site or just get out.Brainless comments will be remove immediately.

December 11, 2006

Brrrr.Duck tongue or dog meat anyone?

Ok, Guangzhou is cold. Especially during the nights and mornings. Got to my dad's apartment at the wee hours of sunday, and it was freezing cold, especially the wind. My dad had been true to his words when he told us "I dont like crowds", because he chose the suburbans, a rather poshy place at some hill. But that also means that it will take at least 30 minutes before we can get to the main cities.Gah. There goes my personal exploring plans.

Hmmm...The weather report just mentioned that there will be a typhoon next week. Sounds bad. Obviously I'm badly dressed for the weather. Ran to the nearest store to buy some wool stuff the moment I reached. (It's so much cheaper than when you buy in Singapore) Haha. Might have to get more if the weather continues to drop. Sigh...Currently the temperature here is about 12-14 degrees. My lips cracked and bleed this morning. And I forgot to bring my lip balm.=/

Food's here is interesting. Other than the dumplings (at least 10 different kinds at every place!) widely available everywhere, there's also the chinese version of the roti prata, which they call spring onion biscuit (direct translation). Went to the local market yesterday and I saw fresh dog meat at every meat selling place. Some kind of turtle too, and snakes, rabbits... Yucks. Dad went to buy a chicken and they kill it live for you. (To show that it's very fresh) A traumatising sight man. Especially during de- gutting. Argh. There was an egg in the chicken, which the guy kept saying was proof that the chicken was young and the meat will be good etc. Horrible. When we left the place I can still hear the cries of the next chicken meeting its maker.Argh. Staying off chicken for a while. Give me frozen stuff please.

Mum just brought a packet of duck tongue today. Haha. And some pastry made from lard. My brother and I were daring each other to take the first bite. Lol.

Brother: "Why is there bone like looking thing in a tongue?! YUCKS."

Ok, I'm not gonna try that.

Language is a big problem for me here because my chinese is really embarrassing, and speaking english has become so natural for me that it's subconscious. Naturally I made lots of mistakes and many people could not understand me. (Laugh at me too, I suspect. Heh.) I was trying to order a seafood pizza just now and I end up saying Hai3 Yang2 instead of Hai3 Xian1. Bleah.

And the internet here is so sloooow. Gah. Even using Yahoo is so difficult. (Maybe because they scan and censor stuff? Haha.) And dad's lab top reminds me of my school computer. Cant even download MSN messenger.Luckily there's such a thing known as web messenger.Heehee.

Currently I'm reading a really nice book titled Callanish by William Horwood. About a golden eagle caged in a zoo and his flight to freedom. I like the way it's written. Heh. "It's one thing to dream about freedom, but another to be truly free."

Ok, my brother wants to use the labtop now. Ciao.

2 Comments:

Blogger ~jc~ said...

Smart. Go there then buy wool stuff. And the book you're reading sounds interesting.

Saturday, December 23, 2006 8:23:00 AM

 
Blogger QM-pest said...

Hahaha..pros and cons. Pros, really very cheap. Cons, you will be freezing and desperate and will settle for enything whether ugly or not. Bleah.

Yea, the book's really nice. I have another book to recommend too, The Sirens Of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut, which I will be doing an entry on shortly.It's a novel that questions the purpose of life and our existance. Very impactful and thought provoking.=)

Sunday, December 24, 2006 4:08:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home