All posts in this blog are based solely on my own viewpoints unlesss otherwise stated.Should you disagree with me, either comment on site or just get out.Brainless comments will be remove immediately.

October 25, 2006

"Repetition in the text is a return, a calling back or a turning back. And as I suggested earlier, repetitions are thus both returns to and returns of: for instance, returns to origins and returns of the repressed, moving us forward in Pip's journey toward elucidation, disillusion, and maturity by taking us back, as if in obsessive reminder that we cannot really move ahead until we have understood that still enigmatic past, yet ever pushing us forward, since revelation, tied to the past, belongs to the future."

"There is in this manner a blurring of plot lines, useful to the processes of wish fulfillment in that education and indeed repression itself can be interpreted as agencies necessary to the pursuit of the dream. Realisation of the dream permits acceptance of society's interpretations, and in fact requires the abandonment of any effort at personal interpretations..."

-Repetition,Repression and Return: The Plotting of Great Expectations,Peter Brooks

Hmmm. Something to think about from my notes.

5 Comments:

Blogger ~jc~ said...

Well that went past me pretty quickly. I think I'm not cut out for philosophy.

Saturday, November 11, 2006 5:19:00 PM

 
Blogger ~jc~ said...

oh. on an entirely unrelated note, do you think you can lend me king lear after the exams are over? i think i've fallen in love with shakespeare (at the wrong time too) ever since i read julius caesar

Saturday, November 11, 2006 5:58:00 PM

 
Blogger Alicia said...

Yes qm, and we all know that the dichotomic metanarrative manifests itself in contra-syntextual rhetorics; either that or WTH do your notes mean? Looks like I'm with you, jc.
p.s: shakespeare is entirely awesome. I got the oxford complete works of shakespeare as a gift and i'm convulsing with happiness.

Saturday, November 11, 2006 9:33:00 PM

 
Blogger QM-pest said...

JC: Hahhaha...now you know the kind of stuff I'm mugging for.Bleah.And yeah,I can lend you lear.But I warn you,there are alot of comments,little ditties and highlighted chunk everywhere!)

Alicia:Hahaha...I can imagine you convulsing with happiness while reading about how macbeth killed duncan etc etc...XD

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 11:25:00 PM

 
Blogger ~jc~ said...

qm: haha. no problem. it'll probably help me understand better anyway.

alicia: ...i'm jealous.

Thursday, November 16, 2006 11:45:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home